Saturday, November 03, 2007

Learning the tweaks

The festive mood is thickening; people are relaxed and are having real fun. Malls are packed, roads are unbelievably choked but everyone is in good humour. That's what the anticipation of a festival as colourful as Deepavali does to individuals at all levels.

The newspapers are now weighing almost three times more with all those advertising supplements and beautifully printed colourful handouts. And nothing you buy seems to be coming alone; there is something free for everything! The biggest offer I saw today was for one Orange properties - they offer helicopter services and a free Audi A4 car for those booking a villa by this Sunday. Can marketing schemes get any better?

I too was in a relaxed mood - only those planning to book a villa in Orange properties need to be in tension about where to land the helicopter on MG Road : ) Generally, I hate spending time in front of TV ... and today the programs were particularly bad...guess the channels are all reserving their best for the festival day...and so thought I would hit the laptop.

Till now I was content with playing around with changing templates for the blog but today, as there was time, I started searching around for some information on the net...and boy,did I find information! Millions and millions of pages loaded with hacks, codes and do-it-yourself tips...mind blowing...numbingly excessive... complete knockout.

What is so amazing is that all those experts are eager to help others and have posted every trick in the world for free ! Within the first five minutes in Google, it was clear that all one needs is a willingness to learn and connectivity.

To cut a long rambling short, inspite of zero background in editing templates, today I was able to load a minima three column template, hide the header text and load my custom image in its place! All in a single sitting : ) May be it is nothing but the value added by the net is so genuine and powerful.And once the template was in place, I was playing around with the codes for another couple of hours like a kid in his favourite sweet shop; at one point I got so reckless ( and to my surprise over confident too) that everything collapsed. I had to start all over again but it looked easy the second time around!

Hope you are all getting ready for a wonderful Deepavali celebration. Here is wishing you all great peace & prosperity, perhaps a villa in Orange Properties :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your header image and lovely. Let the festive seasons bring more happiness and peace among people.

I used to change my tmeplates every month when I opened my blog and when hacks came in, I enjoyed doing it. I recently changed my template in my JOurnal and loved it.

Nice one Kumar.

Here where I live, its quiet with Diwali unles u r in India or some association. I prefer quiet ones.

Deepa said...

Welcome to the hacking-dimention . A very good way to start your diwali by being adventurous.. loved the header pic.. goes so much well with the mood of the week.. Advance diwali wishes to u and u r family

Kumar said...

Priya, thanks for the appreciation. I have always liked your blog for the layout and the widgets.

I will check out your JOurnal too. Hope your main blog has a link to it.

Yeah, you are right in opting for quiter celebration. Here, its difficult as neighbours compete to see whose crackers are the loudest and longest...

Have a good time :)

Kumar said...

Hi Deepa,

You are a wizard in this template stuff, right? Your name features in Priya's credits! I will definitely turn to your template tips when I am upto speed with some basics.

You are right! I kept the image so it can be changed as per the occasion. I learnt that it can be changed quite easily.

Thanks for the appreciation. Coming from you, it means a lot!

Festive wishes to you all :)

Priya said...

U did a good job tweaking and way to go Kumar.

Kumar said...

Thanks, Priya.

Annie of Blog U was very helpful :)

I checked out your Journal too. Clean layout and some simple yet effective graphics. Very good.

Priya said...

Kumar,
My journal template is from blogcrowds.com and you can easily download from ther.

Annie has pretty good hacks and know her right from I started using hacks.