Sunday, January 17, 2010

2010 - A Start

As 2009 folded up, Life is a treat as a blog was one of my personal things that were reviewed among other things. And not surprisingly, it ended up in the bottom pile in terms of my performance. Of course, it has to be there, rightfully.


No, I am not talking of performance in the usual sense of a blog here. Not about traffic, followers or comments. Anyway these were hardly anything to write about, almost nil. I am talking about MY performance...performance as in number of blogs posted in 2009.  


With just 10 posts in the whole year, 2008 was slightly better with 22 posts but 2007 was even better at 41 posts in just six months. I had started blogging in May that year. I can't believe how much I wrote those days. 

In 2009, at the rate of not even one post a month, and considering that even I didn't visit this blog for months at a stretch, I shouldn't have bothered to analyse the reasons at all. Reasons..believe me, there are  so many of them when I think of them but they are at best excuses.


So, at the end of yearly analysis, this blog turned out to be a showcase for my laziness and more alarmingly a decreasing level of communication with my self. One of the symptoms of doing too much of work at the cost of my personal space all around. Officially it was a great year...yes..really great. A lot of things done...lot of new areas touched and developed...but all of them were at professional level. Personal matters were generally the last thing on my mind last year.


Well, not any more. I have started a number of activities to take my personal aspects up a few notches this year. May be, I will write about them here sometime later.


Goals for this space:
1.One post a month: That's one of the easiest goals I have set for 2010...atleast it looks like that now. Let's see. At 12 posts per month, by the time this year closes, I would have performed better than the 10 posts for 2009. Let's leave it at this and we will evaluate this goal's validity in Dec 2010 :) 


2.Write for myself: This may sound clichéd but that's how I feel about it. I should be capturing a lot of conversations with myself here that should be available for me any time I wish to.



Dumbledore: "I use the Pensieve. One simply siphons the excess thoughts from one's mind, pours them into the basin, and examines them at one's leisure. It becomes easier to spot patterns and links, you understand, when they are in this form."
Harry: "You mean... that stuff's your thoughts?"
Dumbledore: "Certainly."
    -Albus Dumbledore to Harry Potter

At first I thought I should use a digital diary...even downloaded a few and tried them...then I thout this blog is as good as my personal diary...anyway no body visits here..so I have the assured privacy! Also in a blog, unlike a password protected digital diary in my password protected laptop, I have to honour what I commit here.

Even if anyone reads my posts by mistake, here goes the the mandatory piece..

Statutory Warning: You are at your own risk of exposure to my monologues (read boring stuff) and whatever you may feel after reading my posts is not intentional but do leave your thoughts...Welcome, my friend!


3. Write about new topics: This is to widen my horizon which is part of another bigger goal. I should be writing new topics that weren't touched here earlier.


4.Energizers: This blog should act as an energiser for me at low tides. This was done earlier but so erratically. Now, I will make this space my personal library for energisers.


5. Books: Last year I set a goal of reading 40 books but didn't even complete 10. I even had an excel sheet with identified list of books but could hardly complete 10 books throughout the year. Unbelievable performance...I should be flogged for this, seriously.

This must be the lowest number in the last decade. Symptom of ignoring self. Must change this year. I am committing the goal of reading 30 books here. Conservative but decided on a play-it-safe strategy here. 30 is definitely better than 10, right? Also, I want to set it lower than last year's target to make it look achievable. I will also be writing about the books with a tracker count of the progress in the year. It would be fun to track this count of books one reads for life, isn't it?  Found a good site - goodreads.com, have to explore there further.


Well, that should be enough for starters. 
Due for review next month!


2 comments:

Priya said...

Now your post rejuvenates me to keep my blog alive too.

Why do you have 2 labels in your blog.

Kumar said...

Hi Priya, Welcome and wish you a grand 2010. Yes, I like your blog. Keep writing.

The flash label cloud was put there for just playing around. Will remove one of them. Thanks.