Thursday, August 14, 2008

An approach to success

Like the thousands of Indians and a few hundreds from other nation, I too was fascinated by the 'Indian' Gold medal in the Olympics.

Rather than gushing and blurting about it here, I would rather let the first person view tell all the tale.

Here is what was on the day before...

"Today is my day off and so i am going to spend some time soaking in the village and actually getting my mind to do something it has never done before.... NOT THINK ABOUT SHOOTING!!!


So instead of thinking about shooting perfect bulls eyes... today i am going to think of the pretty women in the village, the weather, the great city of beijing and whatever else pops into my mind will be allowed to stay as long it doesn't involve the words "rifle", "shooting" in it.... hey all it is a great time to be an athlete and this event is what we all live for..... "
....and here is what was on, after....


For more than a decade now my life has been all about my sport. In fact, I do not have a life beyond the confines of the 10m range. I have had a range built in my own home to cut down any possibility of distraction and to be able to practise my sport whenever the fancy strikes me. It all did pay off, didn't it?




The joy that the nation feels at my win is humbling. I just wish that this is repeated more and more often.


With our depth of talent and expanse of people I firmly believe India can be a world-class sporting power. What we need are precise systems. I will try to do my bit at grooming the next generation. I would like to appeal to each Indian to also do their bit in prodding us out of sporting complacency.


To me these statements seem to be the ultimate success mantra.

May be, one more stop to enquire about success could be with one Mr. Phelps! He is unstoppable.

My salute to all the heroes who break the barriers, at will.

2 comments:

Priya said...

I did leave a comment wishing him too.

Our country is so divided with power, politics and play with games. What to say?

Kumar said...

Yeah, but now, people have bugun questioning failures...like in the case of the Indian Hockey Federation.

Hope the likes of Abhinav will herald a change. At least now he will have an audience.